On Sunday, October 7th 1945, Bishop Coholan, then Bishop of Cork, officiated at the solemn blessing of the new Church of the Annunciation in Blackpool. Following the blessing, High Mass was celebrated by Very Rev. T. Canon O Keeffe, Adm Cathedral. Almost seventy five years have passed and the church has a special place in the hearts of Blackpool people all over the globe. It replaced St Nicholas Church which stood on the same site. St Nicholas Church was no longer able to meet the needs of the growing population and it prompted William Dwyer of Sunbeam to to build a church that would cater for a congregation of 1,250 people.
The church was built at a troubled time in world history during the final days of World War Two. It has served us well and is so comfortable now with all the work that has been done in recent years to improve the heating and insulation. We hope to be able to celebrate this anniversary in some way, even if only virtually! That is the reason we are appealing to Blackpool people far and near to check out their photo albums/boxes and share some of their photos of Blackpool Church down through the decades. We will post them on this site and also on our Facebook page. Let’s aim for a great collection for October. Let’s fill our pages with memories of our wonderful church and the people who ministered and prayed there over the years!